One of the questions I have gotten a lot lately is so what exactly is an “internet business” or “what exactly do you do”?
Similarly a lot of my online friends ask me so how many projects do you have on the go and how do you manage them all?
With this post I hope to be able to answer both.
I will show exactly what I do with my online business and also all the different projects I am currently involved in…
What Is My Online Business
If I had to describe my business am I an affiliate marketer, website developer, investor, software creator, SEO, private label FBA seller, ecommerce operator? The short answer is yes to the majority of those but I guess the easiest way to describe it is that I am an online entrepreneur (I get a little gag reflux when I say that because it is very over-used). If someone has a better description I can steal I would be very happy to hear it!
How Do I Make Money Online
I will get into many of my projects below but the simple formula is that I build/buy online businesses (usually authority websites) and then convert the traffic into money through different monetization strategies.
This is definitely a simplification but for almost every project this high-level formula remains the same…
Why Do You Share/What Businesses Do You Run?
People wonder why share so much information about my online business and why not leverage that sharing to sell an information product. Instead of selling an info product I have chosen to go a different route that I believe adds more value… share everything for free and leverage me and my teams skills to sell the same services I am using to build my business.
My model is most closely aligned with a player/coach model where I don’t talk about anything I am not actually doing in my business and only sell services that I am also personally using to build my business.
For me it is important that my ratio of shovel selling to gold digging remains balanced (hopefully some people got that reference ).
So How Many Projects/Businesses Do I Have?
My business has 4 main focuses and under each of these “divisions” I have several key projects on the go.
Here are my 4 main divisions to my online business…
- Portfolio of Websites
- SEO Services Business
- Amazon FBA Business
Let me break this down into more detail to include both the projects I have with each and the main activities that need to be performed to keep the business moving.
Portfolio of Websites – 5 Key Activities/Projects:
I have around ~40 websites that make money with some performing better than others.
To keep this business moving here are the several projects/activities I need to stay on top of…
- Website Building– I have done this less frequently recently but still build authority sites when I identify a niche I am wanting to go after.
- Website Buying– Buying websites quickly and at a price point that doesn’t make sense for the seller to list on the more popular marketplaces has been a decent project for me. As always if any reader is looking to sell their website that is making money quickly please let me know!
- Website Management– Having all these websites I require a team to execute the right activities to help them all grow. The primary activities to manage my portfolio of websites that I now have a team to help me do are the following…
- Keyword Research
- Content Creation
- Backlink/Outreach Effort
- Monetization Improvement
- Website management (hosting/updates etc)
The team including the number of people for each position I have to execute this work is the following…
- Website Builder (0.5) – Does double duty in my services business as well
- Keyword Researcher (0.5)
- Content Publisher & General VA (1)
- Hosting/Website Lead (0.25) – Used for all kinds of different projects/problems
AuthorityWebsiteIncome.com – 2 Key Activities/Projects:
AuthorityWebsiteIncome.com is a key project on all on its own. For the majority of my other divisions I am continually setting up systems/teams to pull myself out of the day to day operations of the business. However, with AuthorityWebsiteIncome I write every post (rare exception for a guest post). In addition I am the only one responsible for doing any outreach/promotion.
- Highly Useful Content Creation – I create 1 detailed and highly useful post per week.
- Outreach within community – Participate in others podcasts or similar
- Manage email list/marketing funnel – I haven’t done a good job of this but the idea is to
- Content Creation & Outreach – Myself
- General VA for Posting (1)
Services Business – 2 Key Projects
- Expired Domains for Sale
- Done For You PBN Service
- Use My PBN Service
- Done for You Amazon FBA Brand Websites
- Done for You Affiliate Websites
Below is the team I have to run my business including the number of people by role…
- Higher level outreach/marketing (1) – Me
- Project Manager (1) – Kelley
- Domain Finding Lead (1)
- Domain Finding Team (3)
- Domain Backlink Review Lead (1)
- Content Creation Lead (1)
- Writers (5-10)
- Content Reviewer QA/QC (1)
- Website Building Lead (1)
- Website Building Team (2-5)
- Hosting and IT Lead (1)
- Hosting and IT Assistant (1)
- General VA (1)
- The BrandBuilders Team is its own team led by the business lead/partner for BrandBuilders (Andrew)
This business is relatively complex with a LOT of moving parts and systems some human and some software that all need to be working together.
The business manager Kelley is doing a great job keeping all of these moving parts for LightningRank humming along and continuing to deliver awesome rankings to both my sites and customers!
Amazon FBA Business – 4 Key Projects
Amazon FBA is the newest online project I have been working on for the last 9 months.
The systems and team to run this business is still getting developed and I will be looking to build a world class team in this space over the coming months!
- Brand #1 – Sale and partnership– I am in the process of closing on the sale of this business and joining into an ongoing partnership with the buyer.
- Brand #2 – Investor Group– Working with a group of investors to rinse and repeat my Affiliate Site to Amazon FBA business model.
- Brand #3 – Next Personal Brand– I will be looking to launch another private label business off the back of one of my affiliate sites. This is a lower priority than #1 & #2 above.
- SAAS – ListingEagle.com– This is a very exciting project that is weeks away from launching! A web app that monitors people’s Amazon Private Label listings to ensure there are no hijackers and if there are it notifies them IMMEDIATELY and helps them through the process of getting rid of them!
The team and systems are less developed for the FBA business. Most activities are still being completed by my wife and I. I am training up a VA to be my go-to resource for this business.
- Inventory Management/Customer Support etc (1)
- General VA (1)
- ListingEagle has a GREAT team…
- Business Development Lead
- Developer (20% of his time for 1 month)
- Advisors (3 – very little time commitment)
This post is meant to provide a behind the scenes look at how my business is setup to hopefully give you some ideas as well. In addition, I hope it helps explain what I do online.
If you are just getting started DO NOT feel overwhelmed with this post, it has taken me 7 years to build up to this business and team. Start with one project, do it yourself, build systems hire a VA to take over those systems and move onto the next part.
If you work online and have to answer the question so what do you do… let me know what you say as I haven’t yet found a good way of explaining it!