It has been too long since I shared a detailed post showing you a specific strategy and case study results.
In today’s short and hopefully actionable post I am going to share how I helped push one of my sites from the middle of page 2 to the top of page 1 for my target keywords within 1 week!
Stay tuned for some more tests and results.
The website had both the homepage and a post ranking on page 2 for the same target keywords.
Neither the homepage or any post/page were ranking on the first page for the target keywords.
The problem was the site was not ranking as well as I would have liked for the target keywords and I wanted to boost the rankings.
Having 2 results on page 2 is not worth nearly as much in terms of traffic to a couple top results on page 1 as shown in several studies such as Catalyst CTR study shown below…
The basic strategy was to create a better post using some of the content from the post already ranking ok for the target keyword and 301 redirect the post to the homepage where the improved article will be live.
- Create a MOSTER 4k word VERY useful post formatted to look awesome with Thrive Themes
- Move some of the content from the post already ranking ok for the keyword to the new article
- Post the new article as the homepage content
- 301 redirect the post that was ranking for the target keywords to the homepage
- Get a couple Use My PBN links built to the homepage
- Keyword “Best DC’s” Household Product – 5,400 volume keyword moved from 10 to 3 & settled at 7
- Keyword “Best GDC” Household Product – 590 keyword moved from 7 to 3
- Keyword “Best DC” – 5400 volume keyword moved from 17 to 3 & settled at 5
- Conversion Rate Increase to 3.24%
- Traffic Increase by ~40%
How to Implement:
If you are wondering how to tell if this strategy makes sense for you to implement here is how I suggest you analyze your situation and potential opportunity…
- Check Google Analytics for your top pages by organic traffic
- Enter each of your pages and homepage into SEMRush.com to understand which pages are ranking for what keywords
TIP – If you have a post ranking better than your homepage for your target keywords this is a good indication that this strategy would be worth using.
Another Variation on This – If you have a couple posts that are ranking both only ok for the target keyword then I would attempt a similar strategy where you upgrade the content, post it on one post and then 301 redirect the old post.
The end result has been a decent 40-50% improvement in organic traffic by making it clearer to Google what URL on the site should be ranking for the given keyword.
Although this strategy won’t be applicable to everyone I hope that it gives someone some ideas about how they can generate some improved rankings and results for their site.